Tuesday, June 12, 2007

David's tabernacle (pt. 1)

Well I've been stewing since Sunday about what was, in my estimation, a poor job of communication on a very important topic.

Last Sunday I spoke on Psalm 96 and the occassion it was written for: the beginning of the tabernacle of David. I muddied the waters by not speaking specifically enough on either the content of Psalm 96 or 1 Chron. 15-16.

Here's 3 summary points:

1) Psalm 96 was commissioned by David during the events recorded in 1 Chron. 15-16.
2) Psalm 96 speaks a lot about the spiritual warfare dimension of worship.
3) 1 Chron. 15-16 is the story of the establishment of the tabernacle of David.

I believe that God showed David the reality of worship in heaven, similar to what John recorded in Revelation 4-5.

David understood, from the Lord that he was to have singers, musicians and intercessors minister around the ark of the covenant. This dynamic was the central focus of the Tabernacle of David.

It is an earthly representation of the worship that happens around the throne of God.

We are not to try to recreate or copy the tablernacle, but rather learn from the 'elements' of the tabernacle. It is the spirit (meaning the dynamics) that are critical to us today: prayer, music, and singing, brought together with God's Word. I also realize that these elements are NOT any kind of 'magical' combination that God is waiting for us to use. He's not waiting for us to 'get it just right' and then he'll pour out his Spirit.

So why is any of this important?

In a word, because Jesus wants things 'on earth as it is in heaven'. I'm not pursuing these things because I want to get God's attention; I already HAVE his full attention!! I'm pursuing the dynamics of the tablernacle of David because I believe that the pattern of the worship in heaven is the ultimate, most pleasing, most God glorifying worship that could exist! (that's why it's happening in heaven!)

I'll leave it there for now, but these two passages of Scripture are very important in terms of what God is doing in raising up Houses of Prayer. I will have to post on that topic at another time, so keep watching!

2 comments:

DesignFiend said...

well dude, once again you have offered a great insight into the scripture that i am not sure i would have gotten on my own. i am starting to think you have a gift for this preaching thing. i would like to get together and talk more about the psalms in worship. we should do some kind of big finally for the end of our 30 days of psalms. call me and we will go for coffee.

kathi in Cali said...

Enjoyed reading your excellent adventure. You are a great and engaging writing...both funny and profound!

I love being in IHOP...it's like sitting still and going farther then you've ever been! And when sleep deprived...it can be full of revelation and visitation (or hallucination...if you are too tired).

BYW...coffee and Jesus together are the best! You are missing a truly heavenly experience!