Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Some thoughts on Chris Benoit

Like many, I've kind of sat in a bit of a stunned state over the recent Chris Benoit murder suicide. I'm not a hard-core wrestling fan, but I've seen my fair share of WWE over the past few years. At first I simply didn't believe that he could have murdered his own son. I figured something else had happened, like his son died in a freak wrestling accident, and then Chris took his own life out of depression or something.

It was interesting to watch the tribute that the WWE ran on Monday night, which was before the details of what had happened were known yet. Was it right to run a tribute with all kinds of people saying amazing things about Chris Benoit, when it turns out that he killed his wife and son?

Does that change who Chris Benoit was? In the eyes of some it does. Today in the Journal, some fans stated that they have lost all respect for Chris. I understand why. I'm struggling with that very issue. However I'm actually thinking about the bigger picture and that for me is the WWE. I can't blame the WWE for what Chris did. He made his own choices. He chose to get involved in the WWE and use steroids. But it's also pretty clear that the WWE creates a culture that is quite destructive to many of the wrestlers involved. So can I support that? When we look at the Benoit tragedy, do we put all the blame on Chris, or does part of the responsibility lie with the WWE? I guess I think that the WWE will not change; that the industry will not change, certainly not as long as there remains such a large number of fans who 'consume' what the WWE is producing.

Thing is, I like watching wrestling. I find it a fun, mindless diversion from life. But if what I am enjoying is ultimately destructive to the lives of those directly involved (such as Chris B. and Eddie G.) then what does that mean?
As strange as this may sound, I'm not quite sure of the answer; at least not just yet.

The other big question in my mind right now is about whether or not what Chris did should change our respect of him. It seems pretty easy to judge him for what he did. Some would say, 'well, we don't know the pressures he faced' etc. etc. Does ANYTHING excuse killing your wife and son? Most would say no, but does one horrific act wipe out a person's reputation? Certainly it seems that way in the world of celebrity; look at Mel Gibson and others.
If we say that it does ruin his reputation, then are we 'judging' him? And is that wrong?

Just some of my questions right now....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a whole whack of heavy questions. I don't think a reputation is necessarily ruined by a "bad deed" but it certainly taints it. You can't be quite sure you can trust the person again. The "bad deed" doesn't negate the good parts of your life. We are a sum of everything, not just the bad and not just the good. This seems particularly horrendous because of the murders. To get to that point there has to be something seriously wrong. Most "bad deeds" we commit in life are reversible or have some way to rectify them. This one is irreversible which is the biggest tragedy. I may be babbling now so I'll shut up.

Unknown said...

Mate, I'm still pretty speechless about what has happened. He was one of my favorite wrestlers and I don't know what to say.

Like that song says 'its a mad mad world'.

Did you hear about the Benoit/Wikipedia thing? Nancy Benoits death was entered on wikipedia 13 hours before the police arrived. Apparently the posting came from Stamford Ct. There are going to be a lot of conspiracy theories coming with that because thats where the WWE has its headquarters.

It is very tragic for the families of Chris and Nancy and my prayers go out to them.

Sorry I don't have much to say on the subject

J Man said...

IMO, WWE has gone down hill in a terrible way. Do I blame the organization for the actions of one of its employees? Not really; however, the company definitely seems to put a tonne of pressure on the people who perform.

Zaak said...

Definitely, what happened was tragic. I think we as humans tend towards determining a person's value by their actions - we do it economically, socially, educationally, etc.

Chris Benoit still has value as an individual, well, if he were still alive. It's easy to demonize people for commiting horrific acts, but then lose sight that God still extends salvation to them and that we in turn need to extend love, patience, joy, etc. to them too.

For these same reasons, I'm against the death penalty.

It's just hard I think.

I agree with you, as long as there is a fan base for the WWE, there won't be any substantive change.