Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Quite a response

Well this past Sunday (Jan. 7) I spoke a message at The Canopy that evoked quite a response. Usually I don't get any comments and presumably, people forget the message by the time lunch is over, but this Sunday was different. In some ways I'm not surprised. I spoke on the theme of repentance and issued a call to us at The Canopy to begin the year by coming back to the Lord in repentance.

I got written responses, some emails and even met with somebody about it. Actually most people were quite positive in their feedback, but when you preach on the message of repentance, it does go deeper than some other topics. I think it's because it is so central to the gospel. The message of forgiveness is much easier to accept than the message of repentance, but quite clearly BOTH are essential parts of the gospel.

As I spoke with one person this week about the message, I mentioned the fact that my main desire in the message was to speak to our 'heart condition', calling us (myself included for sure) as The Canopy to repent and turn to the Lord regarding the condition of our hearts. While I was corrected for my reference to Rev. 3:16 and my failure to recognize that God is not inviting us to be 'spiritually cold', my main point was again to illustrate the state of the heart. (and yes, I am aware that in context, Jesus is speaking to their works/deeds and the reference is to Laodicea's insipid water supply and the calcification on the pipes that resulted:)

At any rate, my focus right now is to return to the Lord in simplicity and humility, through prayer. I believe that this is the path that we must take in order to see God moving more freely in our midst. I believe that coming to God with this kind of heart will allow God to change us, mold us and use us in amazing ways in 2007. No matter where any of us is at in our spiritual journey, this posture can only draw us closer to God.

Like I said, most people who commented were touched in their spirits by the Lord on Sunday; I didn't get raked over the coals at all. People were quite gracious; it certainly got people thinking (positively and perhaps negatively as well) and wrestling a bit more with the issue of repentance.

Personally, I am still very impacted by Ps. 130 and the picture of hope that comes in repentance. I'd never seen that or heard that before until the Lord drew my attention to it:

"If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins,
O Lord, who could stand?
But with you there is forgiveness;
therefore you are feared

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
and in his word I put my hope.

O Israel, put you hope in the Lord
for with the Lord is unfailing love
and with him is full redemption.
He himself will redeem Israel
from all their sins."


Amen Lord! Let it be.

1 comment:

J Man said...

You know, I've been in a "I'll believe it when I see it," kind of mood for the past while. But, when I walked into the Canopy on Sunday, there was a very noticible Presence. I have let my heart get hard toward many things in the past year or so; but, on this past something, part of that hard shell was chipped away.

Thanks Jim.