Tuesday, January 01, 2008

The Beginning of New Things

Last night I was at the fireworks downtown and was able to say so-long and good riddance to 2007, and here's hoping for 2008!

Some people have said that the number 8 in the Scriptures means or signals 'new beginnings'. I don't know of any evidence to prove that, but after 2007, I'm more than willing to "take it in faith"... I'm more than ready for some 'new beginnings'!

In many ways, 2007 was about as low a valley in ministry as I've experienced. In the midst of virtual continual turmoil I found God teaching me some hard lessons about myself, exposing and peeling away encrusted ideas and mindsets, along with certain paradigms and identity issues. It was a year where God brought some people into my life and then moved them out; many others were moved (or chose to leave) to different churches and/or places to live. In some ways, there was so much relational transition that I have gotten used to it and to a degree have numbed out to it. After a while you're so used to people 'moving on' that you just say 'well, here we go again' and you just keep on going.

In the midst of it all, I have experienced God sustaining me and somehow keeping a sense of hope about the future. I'm actually being serious about that; I'm not spewing pious Christian platitudes. I don't understand it and I certainly can't explain it, but in spite of all that 2007 threw my way, I feel closer to God and responsive to His Spirit. I don't feel particularly depressed; certainly there are times of significant discouragement, but they seem to pass reasonably quickly. I can't totally explain it.

As I said, I also recognize that God has been teaching me a lot and has been shaping me through all that has happened in 2007. James says that I should 'rejoice' in these trials and Paul says that such things are but 'momentary light afflictions' that can gain eternal weight in glory; I have focused a lot on those Scriptures.

So what now in 2008?

There are things happening in me that I can't articulate right now. I can sense it in my spirit, but my mind can't understand it. That's okay. God is working in me, and I'll just try to relax cooperate as best I can.

In some ways I'm not really thinking a lot about what God will do or may do in 2008. I just don't have energy for that right now. I need to focus on what God is saying to me and wanting me to do in the present moment, and let God do whatever He chooses in the bigger picture.

For January, I believe that God is inviting me to re-dig some old wells in my spiritual life. Not to go back to the past, but to rediscover some dimensions that have been covered over a bit. (sounds vague, but I'm intentionally not being specific... guess I'll have to discuss it more in the future! :)

2008 will not be a year to sit back and passively watch for what God will do. I don't know what He will do, but I do have energy to re-discover and re-engage in some ways in my own personal life.

I hope that I will be able to put some of the lessons of '07 into practice and see some fruit in '08.

At any rate, to all who read this, I wish you a Happy New Year and hope that 2008 will be a year of new beginnings for all of us!

No comments: