Monday, January 28, 2008

Remembering

This weekend, Irvin Reich died when the Golden Arrow bus he was driving slammed into a flatbed truck that was carrying metal pipes. Irvin used to be the owner & operator of Brightwood Youth Ranch. I was sobered to hear of his death. While I really didn't know him, I do have several memories of him from my times at Brightwood camp. Many of my favorite retreat type memories are from Brightwood. The McKernan College and Career group went there several times for winter retreats. I remember Irvin from the orientation times to the camp, from the winter horse drawn hay ride, and bringing countless amounts of wood into the main lodge where they had an incredible wood burning style stove/fireplace.

Tonight I watched his wife on the 6 p.m. news and remembered her working away in the Brightwood kitchen, cooking many meals.

Even though I barely knew Irvin, there is something jarring about knowing a person who was killed in such a horrific accident.

So today has been a day of reflection and remembering. It was a good time in my life... those days when we went to Brightwood. Lots of prayer and conversations and RISK games and eating. We saw the Holy Spirit come in power and start a spiritual fire in many lives, the effects of which are still being felt today!

It's interesting to think back to the time when the Spirit came in power... since I've lately been thinking so much about the 'honey glory'!

I pray for the Reich family, and honor the work and life of Irvin Reich, who loved Jesus and now is able to see the One who he served for his entire life.

No comments: