Friday, February 13, 2009

Songs of Deliverance

I've been really enjoying Psalm 32 for the past few days.  There's just so much there to feed the prayer life!

Nearly half of the Psalm is about confession of sin, and while I've been engaged in that there have also been some other things that God was highlighting to me:

1) praying that my spirit would be cleansed of all deceit (v. 2).  Not only do I need to be forgiven (v.1) but I need to have all manner of deceit driven out of my spirit.  This prayer is a new addition to my prayer list.

2) praying for a return to the hiding place (v.7) or as I've called in earlier blogs, 'the secret place'. 

3) I've been focusing a lot on being surrounded with 'songs of deliverance' (v.7).  Each day I have been coming back to this and in the morning asking God to surround me with songs of deliverance.  There has been a distinct touch from God in praying this.  The other day as I prayed around this, I suddenly found myself beginning to sing my prayers.  This went on at length (one of the joys of being home alone!!) as I prayed and worshipped God.

V. 7 is a fantastic verse to pray for others as well; praying that God would surround them with songs of deliverance.

One final note from my prayer time today:  Today is the day that the Lord has made.  In the midst of prayer I found myself making declarations about the goodness of the day, speaking against the fears and curses that surround (however humorously) 'Friday the 13th'.

May today be a day of blessing and goodness, and not fear and evil.  

May the Lord surround each of us with songs of deliverance today!

No comments: