Friday, December 14, 2007

Prince of Peace

At this time of year it's common to hear the name 'Prince of Peace' to describe Jesus.

Yesterday I was thinking about how important inner peace is in our lives... well, in my life! I was thinking about how much the enemy does to take away our peace and I got to realizing how important our inward peace must be. Far more important than most of us normally think.

Somehow I'm used to hearing people talk about how stressed out they are, how busy they are, and how worried and anxious they are. The result is that we end up living with an absence of peace in our lives!

Understanding that Jesus is the Prince of Peace, it's more than Jesus valuing peace or even bringing peace to the world; the question is more HOW Jesus brings peace to the earth.

Watchman Nee wrote that
When the Holy Spirit is working, He needs to be carried by the human spirit. The electricity in an electric bulb does not travel like lightening. It must be conducted through electric wires. If you want to use electricity you need an electric wire to bring it to you. In like manner, the Spirit of God employs the human spirit as His carrier, and through it He is brought to man.

How will Jesus, the Prince of Peace, bring peace to the earth? I believe that it will be through US as His people. It will not be independent of us, but through us.

Not only am I to be at peace for my own benefit, but also for the benefit of others around me. I am to be His means of bringing peace to earth! This is very powerful to realize!

Usually one of the stressful times of the day for me is right in the morning when I'm trying to get the kids off to school on time! There usually isn't very much peace in my life at that time, and it's the start of my day!

I've known this for a long time, but the way I handle things in the mornings has a direct impact on my kids and how their day will go at school. I felt yesterday and today that God was reminding me that He wants to use me to bring peace to their lives each day of the week. That's powerful! (it also feels like a pretty tall order sometimes!)

So I'm feeling challenged and inspired today.

1 comment:

Zaak said...

This topic of peace has been rolling around in my head for the last couple years too. I find it's related to a couple things, both resting Jesus (our new Sabbath) and trusting that vengeance is not ours for the taking.

I had a bit of a shock as I was reading your blog. I understood "How will Jesus bring peace to the earth? Throught the US." I literally gasped and then reread the paragraph and understood that US was not United States. I had a good chuckle after that.

Peace out.