Monday, December 10, 2007

wonderings


So yesterday was "tree day" in our house! When I arrived home after church, Rebekah and Josiah informed me that that it was tree day and it was my duty to go and get a Christmas tree. We usually get our tree from Save On Foods and this year, and I was really pumped at how the tree actually turned out. It's hard to get an idea of how it will look when its all bundled up at the store. But as you can see, we have a beautiful tree this year. We're all quite proud.

Yesterday was a pretty good day. After setting up the tree, I settled downstairs to cheer on the Patriots as they kicked some Steeler butt!



In the midst of it all there, here are some of my latest wonderings...

Why do psycho's like Willie Pickton always seem to quote the Bible? Is it just because Christianity is the foundational religion in the West? I suspect there's more to it than that!

Why did the shootings over the weekend not make Monday's Edmonton Journal? I know there are lots of shootings (sadly) but this was a man shooting 4 people at a YWAM missionary base outside Denver! Plus, the man escaped and is (was?) on the loose!

Why did it bother me so much this morning when the piano tuner came to our house and because I had forgotten about the appointment, the house was still a TOTAL disaster... why is my pride so strong that I wished that the floor boards would suddenly open up and swallow me up? (the good news was that I was highly motivated to clean feverishly while he was here!)

Whatever happened to the great moves of God in the 80's and 90's? In the 80's God established the Vineyard movement and in the 90's there was the renewal of the Holy Spirit that swept around the world. Those people who never liked them will delight in their essential disappearance, but what is God doing these days?

Why is God's activity these days so much more subtle and difficult to identify? Sure there is lots that God is doing, but not really anything on the scale of what He did in the 80's and 90's. At least not in my eyes.

What needs to be done to correct the pervasive notion in the church that it's God's job to make our lives work out all the time? Maybe we need more preaching on the book of Job!


I'm not particularly dwelling on any of these questions... they are more of a snapshot of some of the thoughts and internal dialogues that I've been having lately. Some are here today and gone tomorrow, while others seem to reappear every once in a while.

So that's what's new... for those who are wondering! :)

No comments: