Saturday, February 23, 2008

An Inconvenient Service


I've been thinking about the nature of voluntary service. Like cleaning a house, helping people move, stepping in to help out with short notice, doing things without being asked.

There are times when we are willing to step up to the plate and times when we are not. There are times when it's convenient to serve and times with it is inconvenient. Most people are willing to get involved when it's convenient because it makes us feel good; but things change when it becomes inconvenient. I want to say that being willing to help out in spite of inconvenience is a sign of maturity but while that is often true, it isn't always the case.

I think our present day culture of being served, being entertained, and being entitled has led to a culture of convenience. (I'm continually amazed that the 'convenience store' near my house is able to stay in business, but I certainly am willing to occasionally go there and pay $1 more for a jug of milk simply for the 'convenience'!)

I see examples of both all around me: some who will jump in and help and serve regardless of whether it's convenient or inconvenient, and others who mostly just step up to the plate when it's convenient. Yet I'm left with the realization that I need to assess how tied I am to convenience. I am becoming more accepting of inconvenience or less? Some days I'm not sure. Some days it changes. I guess I hope that in the overall picture of things, that I'm moving in the right direction. Can't blame the culture. At some point you have to suck it up and get some maturity!

A few years ago, one of my favorite worship leaders, Paul Oakley wrote a song entitled: 'It's all About You'

One line from the song goes,
It's all about You, Jesus And all this is for You For Your glory and Your fame
It's not about me, as if You should do things my way.

One of my friends, Mike Tkachuk does a humorous version on this line, to make a point:
It's all about me, Jesus and all this is for me; for my glory and my fame
It's not about you, because you should do things my way.

One of the reasons why Paul Oakley's lyrics in this song have struck a chord with people (pardon the pun!) is because we know (or should know) that the gospel of Jesus is a gospel of service, and very often that makes it a gospel of inconvenience!

just some things I've been thinking about.

No comments: