Sunday, May 13, 2007

Dashin' for Compassion


Yesterday I ran my second ever half marathon, at the 'Dashin' for Compassion' foot race. When I made plans to run the race, I had no idea that it fell on the Mother's Day weekend; it's only fitting that it would, given that it is set up to raise money for the Sorrentino's Compassion House, which exists to provide sanctuary and support for women with breast cancer, who live outside of the Edmonton area.

In June of 2001 my mother died of breast cancer, so I have obviously have special empathy for families who are suffering through the trials of the disease.

But back to the race: it was a beautiful day for a run; there were only about 160 people who ran the half marathon (which is 21 km for anyone who doesn't know) and the course was amazing with a lot of fabulouse houses in the Grandview, Lansdown and Riverbend communities.

I'm still new to this whole running thing, so of course I made a pretty significant gaff in my week of preparations. The final 7-10 days prior to a half marathon you are supposed to taper off your training in order to allow your body to fully recover and be a full strength on race day. You are also supposed to be familiar with the layout of the course so as to be fully prepared for what lies ahead. In my zeal I decided that I would ride my bike along the course on Thursday, 2 days before race day. (Yes, it's the bike that got stolen...see my previous post). Given that I had not riden a bike in nearly 10 months, this was NOT a good idea! Add to that the fact that I failed to eat prior to the bike ride, which caused me to seriously bonk, and you've got real problems.

Problems? Nahh... I convinced myself that I'd recover on Friday and be ready to go on Saturday. After all, how trashed could my legs be?

Well, I got about 9 km into the race, doing a fairly decent pace (for me) and then came the hills. Snow Valley to be exact. It was at that point that I dropped a gear. I just simply couldn't keep the pace up. No strength in my legs. Up to this point I had been running back and forth with a young woman in the race: she would move ahead of me and then I wold pull ahead of her and vice versa. (She was doing 10 & 1's, and I wasn't) This continued up until Snow Valley and at that point she left me in the dust. I spent the remainder of the race trying to recover that gear that I'd lost, but frankly it just never happened.

The struggle was that I was in better condition than I was for my first half marathon and knew that I had the potential to keep up the pace I had started out at. Frustrating! In the end, I finished the race slightly faster than my previous half marathon time, so I can't complain too much; I just learned the hard way how important the tapering process really is!

So the next big race will be the Kananaskis 100 miler, which is a 10 person relay team race, obviously in Kananaskis! It's in June on the Father's Day weekend, (which is also the weekend of the PGA's US Open...booo :(
Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. After that I'll be working towards the ING half marathon which is in August. That's my plan, at least for now.

Running appeals to me on many levels and I continue to enjoy the similarities between running and our spiritual journey with Jesus. More on that another time.... :)