Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Like men who dreamed...

In the mid 90’s, roughly around 1994-95 I began to spend most of my evening prayer times focusing on the words of the song ‘Let Your Glory Fall’ by David Ruis. I was part of the college and career group at McKernan Baptist Church, where Eric was the intern pastor and I was working closely with him. Myself and several friends had been praying for a number of years for God to move in our midst and between ‘94-‘96 we were seeing a small portion of what we had prayed for.

Let your glory fall in this room
Let it go from here to the the nations
Let your fragrance rest in this place
As we gather to seek you face.

Father of creation
The world has yet to see
The full release of your power
The church in victory

Let your Kingdom come
Let you will be done
Let us see on earth
The glory of your Son

Today I was listening to a cd where David Ruis did a remix of that song. As I paused what I was doing my mind returned to those early days and I remembered so many of those times in my room praying those words and ideas. I think of Psalm 126:1 where it says “we were like men who dreamed”.

Those dreams are still alive in me. As I listened to that song, my heart was stirred again and my eyes teared up. Those words continue to capture the essence of what I have longed for and prayed for over 15 years.

Really, since 1991, I have spent most of my time and energy trying to pursue the reality of that song, and trying to convince everybody around me to do the same.

In the last while it’s become easier for those dreams to drift a bit in my heart. The pressures and stresses of life are powerful distractions for all of us. Somehow today I recognized the Lord calling me back again toward the singular focus that is represented in David Ruis’ song.

1 comment:

J Man said...

I too have been thinking a lot about the seeds of dreams that God has planted in me from years ago. Something's stirring, Jim. Something's stirring....