Friday, May 04, 2007

Psalm 13

Every once in a while, I get fixated on a particular passage of Scripture. Recently that has been Psalm 13.

1 How long, O LORD? Will you forget me for ever? How long will you hide your face from me?
2 How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?
3 Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;
4 my enemy will say, “I have overcome him,” and my foes will rejoice when I fall.
5 But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.

I think what I've been enjoying about this Psalm is that it's a lament, and basically in our modern culture we don't have any place for a lament. We pretty much live in a 'suck it up princess' culture, and frankly sometimes in the church, that culture is often reinforced. There is not much place for any real lament. Maybe for an hour or a day, but then we expect people to get on with life. Suck it up! Stop feeling sorry for yourself! If it persists, then you must need meds!

Now some will point out that at the end of the Psalm, David does seem to 'suck it up' and ends on a positive note.

My interpretation is that I don't believe that the emotions of v. 1-4 are suddenly gone for David, but that v. 5-6 reflect the truth that David knows in his mind, while at the same time, struggling with a different set of emotions (v. 1-4). The two exist at the same time.

Perhaps that comes out of my own experience. Many times I have emotions that are at odds with truth that I know in my mind. (both related and unrelated to God)

My main point right now is that I believe that we need to re-embrace the 'lament' as a legitimate form of expression. Most of the time that takes a verbal form, but sometimes we can write out our emotions and experiences in the written form of a lament.

As I identify with Psalm 13, I remember that King David wrote it, and I know that I'm in good company!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite right, I agree. I have been experiencing it myself. It's not really a "I feel sorry for me" type of thing, it's an expression of emotion with an acknowledgement of the truth with it. Self-pity lacks any acknowledgement of the truth and focuses solely on the emotion. Thanks for this post, I found it quite encouraging.

J Man said...

I quite regularly lament to God - it feels sooooo good! I bitch Him out for how my life seems to be going, then... I listen. And, God tells me what David (and others) write at the end of all of their recorded laments.
I think there must be some emotional healing when we get things off our chest, but the healing only seems to last when we listen to God's response after we finish our complaint.

Praise God for His faithfullness!