Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Last night

Last night I had a dream. It was one of those dreams that was quite clear when you woke up but faded quickly and you're left with the main point.

In the dream, I heard the Lord say over me, "He is a brand plucked from the fire". Something really bad was about to happen to me and the Lord stopped it. I don't remember exactly what it was; I don't know if it was an action by satan or by God's angel, or even by men, but God stopped it. I have this strange sense that whatever it was, I deserved it. That's still pretty clear to me. But God said no.

Anyway, I woke up this morning with that phrase 'a brand plucked from the fire' totally in my head! I thought it was in the Bible, but I wasn't sure because the language seemed unfamiliar to me.

It turns out that it's from Zechariah 3:2, in the KJV or NKJV version. (I'm more used to reading the NIV, which explains why it was vaguely familiar).

I wish I knew more about this. It was so strongly from the Lord, and the phrase has been ringing in my mind ever since I woke.

Here is the verse in context, in the NKJV:

Then he showed me Joshua the high priest standing before the Angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to oppose him.
And the LORD said to Satan, “The LORD rebuke you, Satan! The LORD who has chosen Jerusalem rebuke you! Is this not a brand plucked from the fire?”
Now Joshua was clothed with filthy garments, and was standing before the Angel.
Then He answered and spoke to those who stood before Him, saying, “Take away the filthy garments from him.” And to him He said, “See, I have removed your iniquity from you, and I will clothe you with rich robes.”
And I said, “Let them put a clean turban on his head.” So they put a clean turban on his head, and they put the clothes on him. And the Angel of the LORD stood by.
Then the Angel of the LORD admonished Joshua, saying,
“Thus says the LORD of hosts: ‘If you will walk in My ways, And if you will keep My command, Then you shall also judge My house, And likewise have charge of My courts; I will give you places to walk Among these who stand here.
¶ ‘Hear, O Joshua, the high priest, You and your companions who sit before you, For they are a wondrous sign; For behold, I am bringing forth My Servant the BRANCH.
For behold, the stone That I have laid before Joshua: Upon the stone are seven eyes. Behold, I will engrave its inscription,’ Says the LORD of hosts, ‘And I will remove the iniquity of that land in one day.
In that day,’ says the LORD of hosts, ‘Everyone will invite his neighbor Under his vine and under his fig tree.’”
¶ Now the angel who talked with me came back and wakened me, as a man who is wakened out of his sleep.


If you have any thoughts on all this, please post a comment!

1 comment:

Brad Jersak said...

Hi Jim,

Cool dream. Esp. in the Zech. too was dreaming.

In any case, I'd keep this text in mind for sure because the phrase was likely meant to direct you to this passage.

The sense I got from Zech's dream was a little different than your interpretation. Joshua (Yeshua!) the High Priest had already been snatched from the fire (which could refer to something like the fact that he'd been brought home from exile) and for some reason, on that basis Satan is not allowed to oppose him as he takes up his ministry to lead the people.

Prophetically, there is every indication that Jesus would have seen himself in this passage to some degree. Snatched from the fire in his case would refer his death and resurrection. His identification with sin now complete, he is robed and turbaned with glory for service to lead the flock. The enemy is disarmed and rebuked.

Personally, I think your own dream says more than you thought. Perhaps you should read yourself into Zech's dream after the pattern of HP Josh and HP Jesus. You too were snatched from the fire and have been given robes of salvation and a mantle of authority with which to lead.

What is the function of the dream in that case: To reassure you of your calling and to reinforce your authority... to alert you to the enemy's opposition but also of the Lord's rebuke in that case.

In applying it, you'll want to actively receive this as a word for you and maybe ask the Lord specifically to rebuke the enemy wherever you perceive him to be opposing your ministry right now.

Q: How would you live this week if that passage were about you and if it were true?

blessings,

bj