Friday, October 26, 2007

Not a Tribal Deity

I was feeling a little lethargic this afternoon in my spirit, and then I picked up John Piper's book "What Jesus Demands of the World" and started looking at it. As I was reading, I came upon the following quote:
Did He make demands on the whole world?

One may ask, did Jesus give all these demands to the world, or did he give them only to his disciples? Is this an ethic for the world or just for the followers of Jesus? The answer is: The demands he gave only to his disciples are also meant for the world because he demands all people everywhere to become his disciples. That is the point of his final command: 'Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you' (Matt. 28:19-20)

Jesus dares to lay claim to 'all nations' - all ethnic groups on the planet. NO exceptions. Jesus is not a tribal deity. All authority in the universe is his, and all creation owes its allegiance to him.


In the background Luke Wood is singing Kevin Prosch's classic refrain,

"He will come to us, like rain, spring rain...
He will come to us, like rain, spring rain..."

I felt that kind of spring rain on my spirit, as I read Piper's quote...

"He dares to lay claim... no exceptions...Jesus is not a tribal Deity"

So Amen Jesus. I will arise again and stir up my spirit to follow you again.
Come and lay hold of your claim to all of me. No exceptions Jesus. You are God and I gladly surrender to your leadership. Come and have all of me. My time, my money, my hopes, my dreams... all yours.
Come now to me like the spring rain. Cause your living water to flow inside my spirit!

If we ask, you will come
Send your rain on everyone
If we ask, you will come
Send your rain on everyone

So Lord we ask, for you to come
send you rain on everyone
So Lord we ask, for you to come
and send your rain on everyone

For every heart needs rain, spring rain
For every heart needs rain, spring rain

-Kevin Prosch

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for that post Jim!