Tuesday, October 23, 2007

One of the best

Last night I went with my friend Al to watch the 2nd half of the Monday night football game between the Colts and the Jags. It promised to be a pretty good match-up but the reality was that the Colts were totally in charge. We decided to ditch the game and go to a movie instead.

So we went to see Michael Clayton. We were sitting in the theater with the normal music and ads on the screen when suddenly the sound disappeared. We were left for a very long time sitting awkwardly in the room with several other people, in deafening silence. It was well past when the movie was supposed to start, so I decided to go and find somebody to get things going. The movie theaters are automated these days so nobody who worked there had realized things weren't working out. After several attempts to get things going we were still sitting in silence. After about 20 more minutes of waiting and listening to the mindless chatter of the bizarre couple in front of us, I voted that we leave.

I'm not normally like this, but I went and asked for the manager and told him that I thought we deserved some free passes for having to wait for nearly half and hour. He immediately agreed and suggested that we go back to the counter and get a refund while he got some passes. When he came back to give us the passes, he said that if we were still interested they had just got the movie started; it wasn't all that late, so we went back to watch the film.

If you're into really good drama movies, Michael Clayton is one of most enjoyable movies I've seen in a long time. Probably the best movie I've seen all year. Really. Other than some rather offensive dialogue at the start, it's very well written and well acted. The story seems a bit confusing at first but it quickly comes together and I thought it was a simply outstanding movie. Tom Wilkinson gives a totally amazing performance and I thought that Tilda Swinton was strong in her role as well.

You kind of need to like a John Grisham style movie, and I'd go so far as to say that Michael Clayton is a better story than most of Grisham's work.

I really liked this movie and most likely will happily see it again. As I've already said, it's simply one of the most best movies that I've seen this year.

No comments: