Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Reflections from Banff

Pam and I have been coming for a number of years to the Banff area for part of our summer vacation. In the past years we've stayed at a hotel in Canmore that has been great, however this year we found that they had increased their rates substantially, so we decided to check out other options. Pam searched around and found a place right in Banff that looked pretty good (at least on the internet) and was a really good price.

When we arrived yesterday we were all totally amazed with the place. It feels more like a small condo than a hotel room. There is an upstairs loft with 2 queen beds, so the kids are there. It has a half bathroom and TV in the loft as well. The main bedroom is on the main level, with a small balcony, wood burning fireplace and a full kitchen.

Normally there's no way that we could afford to stay here, but they're doing a major construction project to expand the facility, so during the construction they have lowered their prices.

Oh, and there's a fantastic outdoor hot tub, which I'm all over!

Today we went white water rafting. Since the kids were with us, we were only able to do the introductory level rapids, (which for adults, isn't intense at all) and we had a lot of fun. It rained on and off but since we were getting wet anyway, it wasn't a big deal at all; actually it was a great way to spend a rainy day.

I'm enjoying a real spiritual sensitivity right now. My heart seems soft and responsive to God's Spirit. As I enjoy this time away, I'm aware of 2 things: first, our time of vacation always goes quickly and feels like it just flies by; second, I'm aware more than ever that it's not vacation that renews me. Nowhere in Scripture does it ever say that vacation is what gives inner strength or vitality. I'm not renewed on the inside by a good vacation; it's connecting with God in a meaningful way that brings renewal.

Don't get me wrong... not being all super-spiritual and saying that vacations are no good; clearly not, since I'm on a vacation that I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Yet as I contemplate how quickly the time is flying by, it helps to keep things in perspective.

No comments: